Welcome to "chuff to bits"! My blog about food, crafting, and other wonderful things! Stay tuned to find out what!

Saturday, December 19, 2009

York Peppermint Patty Chip Cookies

Mmmmm..... So in my quest to create a dozen baked goodies for family and friends this Christmas, I tried something a little strange last night. I had plans to make sugar cookies, gingerbread, and shortbread for christmas to go along with the fruitcake and hot-chocolate-on-a-stick that I already made. I wanted to do something minty and had thought about making mint gumdrops, then settled on mint cookies. None of the recipes I found were what I really wanted, so I adapted something to fit. I chose this recipe and modified it a little:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup Dutch cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 cups sugar, plus more for dipping
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • my modification, add about 1 1/2 cups York Peppermint Patties cut up in small chunks.
  1. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, 2 cups sugar, and eggs on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla, and mix to combine. Gradually add dry ingredients, and combine with mixer on low speed. Add the peppermint patties (do not substitute semi-sweet chocolate chips). Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and chill until dough is firm, about 1 hour.
  3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with Silpat baking mats. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Dip top of each ball into sugar. I dipped mine in a shimmering sugar for christmas. Place on prepared baking sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until set, about 8 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Again I won't include pictures because my camera SUCKS. The cookies were sinfully good, however, they won't be going out as gifts this year. The peppermint portion of the patties melts better than the rest of the dough, so most of the cookies came out too thin. I found that I had to be sure not to go over the 1" diameter and to pull them out of the oven the MOMENT they go from little balls in a pool of melted dough to little fluffy domes. They make a soft cookie, but irresistable. I'll be sure to make them for myself on a regular basis. Also, be sure no to substitute semi-sweet chocolate chips. The dough has a very subtle saltiness (chocolate and salt are wonderful together, trust me) and the few I put the semi-sweet chips in didn't taste very good at all. This recipe would benefit from tests with other forms of peppermint treats to find one that works perfectly.


Today should be full of baking and the last of my christmas wrapping. Perhaps I'll write Santa and ask him for a camera for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Results