Welcome to "chuff to bits"! My blog about food, crafting, and other wonderful things! Stay tuned to find out what!

Monday, December 14, 2009

Food and Trees


In my first week here, I'd like to bring you up to date on some of my Christmas baking preparations. I'd also like start today with a post of a Christmas tree (mine to be exact). Over the next two weeks I'll be posting pictures of various trees I've come across in my holiday travels to family and friends. I find Christmas trees to be an interesting commentary on the lives, loves and festivities of the people who have decorated them.

Unfortunately I'm no photographer, also I frequently take pictures with the horrible camera on my cameraphone. However, if you look carefully, you should be able to see:
-tin icicles
-sparkly snowflakes
-cinnamon gingerbread stars
-candy canes
-gumdrop garland
-cranberry garland
-paper garland
-folded paper bells
-clear ornaments painted with snowflakes
- and twinkle lights
The stars, painted ornaments, and paper ornaments were all made by myself. I swear I'll get better pictures, and if there's interest I'll give the websites, instructions or methods that I used for the ornaments I've made myself.

Moving on to the baking side of things, I find my fridge full of fruitcakes this time of year, they've gotten a 4th dousing of orange brandy today, and should be ready for their almond paste this week. I've bought some lovely orange-cardamom shortbreads and will probably be making some plains of my own. I'll also be making a foray into gingerbreads and sugar cookies. To get you all the way up to date, I've already failed at making my own chocolates this year( had some problems with the fillings). I also made spice cake by adapting a chocolate cake recipe, which has already been demolished.

Well, I will leave you with thoughts of delicious foods, and will hopefully come back with successes, failures and recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Results