Welcome to "chuff to bits"! My blog about food, crafting, and other wonderful things! Stay tuned to find out what!

Friday, January 1, 2010

The Buxton experiment and soft pretzels








So I recieved some interesting gifts for Christmas this year. One of which was the "Buxton Organizer"....as seen on TV! I find infomercials hilarious, and have more than once giggled to myself over the Buxton Organizer. If you've never seen it, you should go hunt for one of the various versions of it on Youtube. Each version is basically variations on a woman stuffing a pile of items into a Buxton Organizer, exclaiming it's virtues the whole time. While I find the commercials hilarious, in theory the bag is a perfect fit for me. I tend to opt for less traditional or less girly purses. I carry a variety of strange things, and I can quite frequently be found with my pockets stuffed full of random items.
So, you'll understand why I simply HAD to see if all the things in the commercial actually does fit into the Buxton Organizer. I couldn't find the version of the commercial that they'd been showing, but after watching a dozen of them, it seems like they use the same items in every commercial with very slight differences (even the salesperson was the same in most of them). So we wrote down all the items in the commercials, found a version where we had all the items, and gathered them all up. This is the list of items:

2 500ml bottles of water
1 umbrella
1 mp3 player with ear buds
1 travel pack tissues
2 pairs sunglasses
3 pens
1 flashlight
1 cell phone
1 wallet
3 29ml hand cream
1 lip balm
6 credit cards
1 coupon

Following the commercial exactly, we put all the items, in order, in the pockets that the salesperson does. Much to our great surprise, everything DOES fit, exactly like they said it would, WITH ROOM TO SPARE! Shocking, totally shocking. Can't I count on TV to lie to me anymore? What IS this world coming to?
Anyway, I took photos of the bag, with all the stuff in it. It is a little bulky front to back....but if I ever needed all of this stuff at the same time, I would be thankful for it.
I dumped everything back out onto the table and took a picture of the whole lot. While I was staring at it on the table, I had an interesting thought. It seems like a lot, but when do I ever carry two bottles of water in my purse? Have I ever even tried that before? So, I gathered up a purse I bought for $2 at an outlet store. It's of average size for a purse, and made of corduroy. Surprise surprise it also can hold all the things on the list. Hmmm..... Well, the corduroy purse was more uncomfortable and awkward to carry, and there was certainly no more room for extra items.
Conclusion? I will definately use the Buxton Organizer! (I know, even I'm surprised). In fact, I've already used it to carry heat packs, dog treats and bottles of water to the dog park. It's certainly not going to win any beauty contests, and I don't advise packing all that much stuff into it unless you're using it to hold down a tarp during a violent thunderstorm. At least now I know the commercial isn't lying to me.

Today is also Soft Pretzel Day! Should be a holiday shouldn't it? Well, I made soft pretzels using this recipe. Turned out some good, but not extraordinary pretzels. Some tips for you if you attempt it. Do NOT flour your board when you're rolling them, flour will just make the dough slide instead of roll. Don't skip the boiling step, it makes the pretzels taste like pretzels. Personally I found it easier to roll the pretzels off the end of the roll of dough instead of cutting it into bits first.

If you're out there reading this, and you have a good pretzel recipe, please send it my way! While this one was functional, and good, it was not the taste I expected. The outsides weren't as crispy as I wanted them to be. I must be missing something...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Results