Welcome to "chuff to bits"! My blog about food, crafting, and other wonderful things! Stay tuned to find out what!

Monday, February 6, 2012

Adventures in Crocheting

I'm not sure it started.  It started small, it may have been because of the scarves.  I like scarves.  They're easy to knit.  Scarves accelerated into a desire to have other warm objects, socks, sweaters.  Why ARE knit sweaters SO expensive? 

Turns out it's because they're a LOT of work.  Who knew? 

Anywho,  I'd been thinking about nice warm blankets.  Speaking of hard, it is HARD to make a blanket by knitting. 

I mentioned it to friends and they tell me that crocheting is easier than knitting.  Easier eh?  Hmmm....this bears looking into....

So, I figure I need to add to my knitting repetoire, and I pick up a knitting book.  Then since they're so close by, I also pick up a crocheting book.  One needle eh?  Fabric as big or small as I'd like it to be?  I can totally do this!

I end up with a number of balls of yarn (like I don't already have yarn) and some crochet hooks, and a whole envelope of other accoutrements that I didn't already have, like stitch counters and markers.

It took a couple of tries before I managed to make a reasonable pattern, and I pulled it apart twice now because I was dropping or picking up stitches accidentally as I went, but here are the fruits of my labour so far:

It's about 3 feet wide right now, and maybe 10" long.  It should make a nice lap blanket, provided I actually have enough yarn for it.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Results