Welcome to "chuff to bits"! My blog about food, crafting, and other wonderful things! Stay tuned to find out what!

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lemony Snackets



On the quest for wedding perfection (HA RIGHT!) I'm attempting some cupcake recipes to find something delicious to bake as an alternative to our wedding cake. mmmmm delicious cupcakes....drool....

Sorry, lost myself for a moment there. Anywho, I've had a craving for lemon cupcakes, and I do love lemon cupcakes, so I thought I'd try a recipe out. This is an adaptation from Joy Of Baking.

Another egg-free recipe for you.

Ingredients
1/2 cup salted butter (throw it in the microwave for about 15 secs to let it soften...if it softens too much put it in the freezer for a couple of minutes)
Recipe calls for unsalted and to add 1/4 teaspoon of salt, but I didn't have any unsalted, so I omitted the salt. I suggest using unsalted though.

2/3 cup white sugar
3 eggs (I used Pane Riso egg substitute)
1 splash vanilla extract (recipe calls for a teaspoon but I dislike vanilla extract, even natural vanilla extract)

Zest of 2 large lemons

1 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup milk icing sugar
small carton whipping cream (2 cups)
2 small packets of Whip It whip cream stabilizer
icing sugar to taste

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350deg. Whip butter and sugar together until fluffy then add eggs one at a time.



2. Zest both lemons (for god sakes buy a zester, it's worth it) and divide zest in half, add one half to butter mixture.



3. Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt (if applicable).
4. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in three parts, alternating with the milk.



5 Fill paper or greased muffin tins with batter and bake for 18-20 mins, test with a toothpick.


For icing:

1. Begin whipping cream in large COLD bowl. (See my previous posts about whipping cream)
2. Add remaining zest and stabilizer once the cream has developed a matte skin with bubbles.
3. Continue whipping until you get stiff peaks. Gently fold in icing sugar to achieve desired sweetness.


4. Decorate cupcakes by dipping, spreading or piping.

Mine made 9 cupcakes and LOTS of icing, which will keep for a couple of days. Or possibly much less time, considering the dog REALLY enjoys whip cream:



1 comment:

  1. My apologies for the strange font sizes. Not sure what happened there....

    ReplyDelete

Search Results