Welcome to "chuff to bits"! My blog about food, crafting, and other wonderful things! Stay tuned to find out what!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Rootbeer Floats


Sing it with me now folks "Tag Team, back again!" .....no? really? "wave your hands in the air?" .......... not even "shake your derriere"?

Well, f*ck you too then.

Ok, I'm sorry, that was uncalled for.....but funny.

So, I'm going to rant a little again. Tell me you didn't see it coming.

I'm at odds with myself here. I tried this diet thing (from my last post) and quite frankly, it tanked. I mean, it was successful. I lost a fair amount of weight, fast. But, I was also incredibly unhappy. It's not a lifestyle I'm going to be able keep up. Disappointing.

You see, I LOVE FOOD. Not in the "NOM NOM NOM MOAR" famous wedding cake photo kind of way. But I love the taste of food. I distinctly regret having to EAT the food to be able to taste it and if it was socially correct to just spit it out afterward, I probably would. I also love to cook, and baking is frankly the kind of cooking I know how to do best.

So the important question became, do I want to be thin? or enjoy food? I know, someone here is going to tell me that I can do both, and how vegetables are wonderful. Believe me I know, I love vegetables.

Here's the kicker, I'm not unhappy with the shape that I'm in. I don't think I'm particularily fat or hideous looking. I do feel like I could stand to be healthier. Mostly I dislike how other people treat me when I'm not ridiculously thin. I'm not a big girl really, but the difference between how coworkers, clients and friends treat me when I'm skinny, and when I'm not, is extreme. It's sad really....and it's EVERYONE I know. Now, it's not really their fault. They don't know they're doing it. They just gradually pull away. It's like they find me less interesting, less engaging, less fun.
Maybe it's me, maybe I'm more defensive. Maybe.....but my best gauge for how big I am is my friends.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't really care. That my best course of action is to healthy up my eating and my activity level whenever it seems appropriate for me. Chalk the diet up to a valuable lesson learned. Carry on as we were just maybe with slightly less sugar. In that vein, I'm posting today a recipe ("recipe") for Rootbeer Float cake. It's a slightly (and only just slightly) less carby recipe than what I'd normally make.

Again, I didn't write anything down, so use my measurments only as a guideline.

Rootbeer Float Cake

Ingredients (for one layer)

1/2 cup butter softened
1 cup of rootbeer (to be divided)
1 cup natural sugar
3/4 cup organic flour
1/2 cup ground golden flax meal
1/2 cup ground almond meal
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup rolled oats
2 eggs
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder

Directions
1. Whisk butter and sugar with a little rootbeer until fluffy. Add eggs and whisk a little more.


2. Add all the rest of the ingredients except chocolate chips and remaining rootbeer.

3. Add rootbeer and mix with whisk until cake batter consistancy is reached. (See photo). Add chocolate chips.

4. Bake at 350 for a half hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool, then decorate with frosting.

Rootbeer Frosting

Ingredients

2 tbsp softened butter
2 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup rootbeer
2 drops pure almond extract

1. Slowly whisk icing sugar into butter until stiff. Add a little rootbeer.

2. Continue adding icing sugar and rootbeer until you get frosting consistancy and volume you desire.

3. Add two drops almond extract.

This recipe made an OK cake but would make delightful cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Results