Welcome to "chuff to bits"! My blog about food, crafting, and other wonderful things! Stay tuned to find out what!

Monday, March 8, 2010

The Cake Is A Lie.

Ok so I know I promised Surprise Muffins, and believe me I know that I make a lot of promises I don't keep, but I promise that Surprise Muffins will be in an upcoming post. I also promise a delicious Shepherd's Pie to go with it. (Wow, that's a lot of promises.)

Today's post however just could not wait. Because, you see, I made two BEAUTIFUL cakes and they just HAD to be shared with the world. Here's cake number 1, a luscious lemon cake:

Isn't it glorious? Soft delicious layers, fluffy frosting, lemon slices you could sink your teeth into. I also made a dark chocolate cake with sugar roses on top. It's divine. "Mmmmm cake" you're thinking. But no, I'm not going to give you the recipe for these. Partially because I'm evil, but mostly because they're not edible. Are you ready for it? They're MINIATURES!

That's right, miniature. Take a good look. Zoom in on that bad boy. It's a complete fake. The size of a nickel. Don't believe me? Check this out:

That's right. That's a slice of cake on the tip of my finger. Here it is beside a standard canadian penny. Is your mind blown yet?

I have this old dollhouse, made by my grandfather. While I didn't play with it much as a child, the time and effort and love that he put into making it still resonates. I was hoping to fix it up as a type of showpiece. Which lead me into the strangest place a crazy metal-head type weirdo like me might go....a dollhouse store. They had miniatures of EVERYTHING. Including food. I was so entranced by the tiny stuff. While I was surfing around some time later, I came across a site that described how to make these tiny cakes out of polymer clay. I was so thrilled with the idea, I made two. Here's some photos of the other cake:

The roses and lemons were so tiny they had to be put on with tweezers.

This is a shot of both finished cakes side by side.

This is the lemon cake on my work surface. That stick in the background is a toothpick.

The lemons themselves took hours to make. Each whole lemon is a perfect scale lemon on the inside, just waiting for the peel to come off so it can be revealed. Each round lemon slice is about 3 mm across and 1/8-1 mm thick. The whole lemon is probably 7 or 8 mm long.


I will definitely be making more tiny food in the future, including tiny cake slice earrings! So stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Katie PostlethwaiteMarch 9, 2010 at 7:06 PM

    Brilliant! Now for the directions to build a dollhouse! lol

    ReplyDelete

Search Results