Welcome to "chuff to bits"! My blog about food, crafting, and other wonderful things! Stay tuned to find out what!

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Win Soup

I made this recipe the same day as the "Fail Nougat". I was craving a good dose of veggies, something in a soup form. I basically just went to the organic market down the street and bought every kind of veggie that I like that they had in that day. It turned out wonderful, delicious, and freezes really well for lunches.


Ingredients

4 small carrots
3 parsnips
1 small purple turnip (purple on top, white on the bottom and the inside)
1 head broccoli
4 large shallots
1 cup corn niblets
1 cup sweet peas (I'll leave them out the next time, they just didn't go.)
2 cups brown whole grain rice
2 litres chicken stock (or veggie stock for the vegan version, but the non-tomato veggie stock)
couple tablespoons of cornstarch and cold water
salt to taste

1. Chop all veggies into bite sized cubes. I did NOT peel the carrots or parsnips but I did peel the turnip.

2. Put all the veggies into a big pot, here they are in order.

Turnips:Parsnips:Shallots: (You could use onions, no big deal.)

Broccoli:
Carrots and Corn:


3. Dump in the rice too.

4. Pour in enough stock to cover.


5. Bring to a boil then simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook until rice is tender.

6. If you like a thicker consistancy soup (almost a stew) , then mix the cornstarch with some cold water until dissolved, then pour into the soup and stir quickly. Let it boil for a minute or so to thicken.

7. Salt and/or spice to taste. (I used about a tablespoon of salt.)


I usually take all the leftover soups that I have, put them in single portion plastic disposable bowls with lids (I wash them and reuse them) and then stack them in the freezer. They make delicious, easy lunches when I don't want a smushed up sandwich.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Results